View Single Post
Old 05-11-2011, 02:04 PM
Rose L

I've pieced a Tilt-a-Whirl kit from Connecting Threads for my daughters graduation. The blocks themselves have many many bias cuts with in them. They were all square and the seams are all at 1/4 inch. I pieced very carefully because of all the bias cuts in within the blocks. Now that the top is finished and I'm preparing to put it on the LA frame, I have found that in the length of the quilt one side is a full two inches longer than the other side. Normally you would pieced the blocks together vertically and then put all the rows together horizontally. In this pattern the blocks had to be sewn together in a Bias or on point fashion starting in the upper right corner and working towards the lower left, there by making the lower right corner longer than the lower left (well depending on which end of the quilt you hold up as there really isn't a distinct top or bottom to it). I have never personally worked a quilt in this manner before and was not prepared for that much stretch to take place in just sewing the blocks and rows together. As I said all the blocks were square when I started the process. Is there a way to correct this? Or am I left with a less than square quilt. It will go on the frame okay since the problem is in the length (the width measures up perfectly and all the blocks went together perfectly with all seams matching). Has anyone else had this problem? I'd love to know what you did to correct it. I am running out of time!!! Yikes :(