View Single Post
Old 05-12-2011, 12:33 PM
wraez

I've only recently started washing my fabrics. First cuz I accidently found out how much a fabric shrunk and I wasn't happy with the results.

2nd, when washing the fabrics cuz of first reason, found how much some of the fabrics were bleeding, even when using 2-3 color catchers.

Been thinking of buying Dharma Co.s version of Synthropol and Retayne but not happy how high the shipping cost was. Gotta consider it some more and will probably give in considering the cost and peace of mind of quilts not turning from white to pink etc.

My MIL made a wonderful quilt for me when I was going thru chemo more than 10 years ago. This was b4 I became interested in quilting. She made the quilt entirely of a dark blue calico print except for some large white blocks on top where she hand embroidered flowers. To my horror, the first time I laundered it ... the blue bled so badly, the white blocks are no longer white. And now since I know about color catchers and use them each time I launder that quilt ... it STILL bleeds! The water is always blue and the blocks will never be white again.