View Single Post
Old 03-28-2009, 11:02 AM
quiltykitty

Originally Posted by *Deb
I wonder, I think it may be the same river, but our river flows north.....We do have some good news - it seems the Red at Fargo, ND has crested, which is about 30 miles from where I live. The Red at Fargo is at record levels....not sure what level it came to here in Abercrombie, but I'm thinking we may have passed the record from 1997. I know the Wild Rice, another river a couple of miles outside of here, had record levels. I'm pretty high and pretty safe from both rivers, but of course know people who have already lost their homes, or had to leave because of all the water.

We really need spring here....warm weather and no rain!!!!!
Nope. Here's info on our Red River. The Red River is one of several rivers with that name. It rises in two branches (forks) in the Texas Panhandle and flows east forming the border between Texas and Oklahoma, and briefly between Texas and Arkansas. At Fulton, Arkansas, the river turns south into Louisiana to empty into the Atchafalaya and Mississippi Rivers. The total length of this journey is 1,360 miles (2,190 km). The river gains its name from the red-clay farmland of its watershed. Since 1943 the Red River has been dammed by Denison Dam to form Lake Texoma, a large reservoir of 89,000 acres (360 km˛), some 70 miles (110 km) north of Dallas.

Your Red River. The Red River forms at Wahpeton, North Dakota and Breckenridge, Minnesota, passes through Fargo, North Dakota/Moorhead, Minnesota and Grand Forks, North Dakota/East Grand Forks, Minnesota, and then continues on to the province of Manitoba in Canada. Manitoba's capital — Winnipeg — is at the Red's confluence with the Assiniboine River, at a point commonly referred to as The Forks. The Red then flows further north before draining into Lake Winnipeg which is part of the Hudson Bay watershed.

Probably more than you wanted to know.