View Single Post
Old 05-13-2011, 12:56 AM
madamekelly

Originally Posted by jdiane318
Because Athelete's Foot is a fungus, keeping the feet dry and clean is a must. He will need a fungal cream to help get rid of what is there for now. Wearing white socks is a huge help, too, in the healing and soothing process. When feet are wet, they are prime for fungal growth. Scratching spreads and irritates the affected areas. I know that Walmart carries a tolfinate cream that is as good as the name brand to save some money. Hope this helps.
Also, he needs to have two or three pairs of shoes, so he does not wear the same pair two days in a row. My DD had a really bad problem with it, so I tried an old home remedy. I soaked her feet in nice warm water, that I had added two cups of yogurt to. (Plain only, and make sure it has no sugar in it, or you will be feeding the fungus.) When they have soaked for 30 minutes, rinse, pat dry, and put the Lamisil, Tolnaftate, or whatever on. Cover with clean white socks, and wear to bed. Change to fresh socks in the morning. As awful as this idea is, you may have to do this and replace the stinky shoes, especially if they are leather. Leather is a skin product after all. In between bouts of "stink-foot" he can use Gold Bond (or Walmart Equate brand) medicated powder to prevent it from coming back. I hope this is helpful.