Old 05-13-2011, 06:48 AM
MarieM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by MarieM
Advice Please: I currently have a Singer 66. I'm thinking of looking at a Singer 15-91. The ad says it is in "beautiful condition" and they are asking $125. I have a very small home and sewing area so if I got the 15, I'd probably try to sell the 66. What are the differences in these machines, is there anything I need to be aware of before I call/look at the 15?

Thanks for you feed back.
Marie
Marie, it depends on what you are doing with the machines. I would take the 15 over the 66 simply because it drops its feed dogs - the 66 does not drop the feed dogs - for free motion quilting. Depending on how old your 66 is, it may or may not have a reverse, but the 15 should have reverse! You will know when you see it. So you should go look at the 15 and compare features. Also, depending on the age of your 66 whether it takes side clamping feet -- the 15 does take side clamping feet so getting new feet is not an issue. They both take a very common bobbin, the 15 takes a Class 15, the 66 takes a Class 66 (same as the 99). Also, what comes with the 15 - extra feet? I'd take the 15 if it were me unless you just want ornate? The 15 is very plain compared to the early Sphinx, Lotus, Redeyes' of the 66.

Nancy
Nancy and Glenn,

Thanks for your input on the 15/66 delma. According to the add it has "accessoreis", the manual, case and a vintage iron. I think it will call on it and see if I can take a look at it tomorrow or Sunday. My 66 is 1957 model, and has a black crinkle finish. The motor broke in shipping (long story) so I replaced it and it really shakes in the cabinet when I sew w/it. It may be just an adjustment.

I use a Necchi (not vintage) for some of my piecing and of course for hemming jeans. Of course if I had more space I'd just get it and keep both, but my little sewing area is so small, I'm just not sure where I'd find to put another one. Soon I'll have to decide between my stash and a place to put another machine.