Old 05-13-2011, 07:31 AM
Prism99
Power Poster

There are some really nice plastic bins at Walmart, about $4 or $5 each. They have clear lids and clear bodys, which is nice for seeing through, they are stackable even in different sizes, and they have nice flip-up handles to secure the lid. These bins also come in larger and smaller sizes. My caution about getting the biggest size is that they become heavy when filled with fabric. I prefer sticking with the medium-size bins unless I want to store something bulky and light, such as batting rolls or perhaps a single large sandwiched quilt.

A really nice, easy way to label clear bins is to use a permanent marker on a notecard and slip the notecard inside, so you read the card through the bin wall. If you change your mind about how you want to organize your fabrics, this makes it really easy to change the bin label.

With shelves 24" deep, you would probably want to store these bins 2 deep. I would do that by creating 2 bins of pink, 2 of yellow, etc. so when you go looking for a color you know to take down a row 2 bins deep.