Old 05-13-2011, 07:40 AM
kwendt

Originally Posted by Glenn
Originally Posted by MarieM
Advice Please: I currently have a Singer 66. I'm thinking of looking at a Singer 15-91. The ad says it is in "beautiful condition" and they are asking $125. I have a very small home and sewing area so if I got the 15, I'd probably try to sell the 66. What are the differences in these machines, is there anything I need to be aware of before I call/look at the 15? Marie
If I had to make a choice between the 66 and 15 I would keep the 66. I think the 66"s are wonderful machines. I have three of them. They are also easy to service yourself. glenn
Hi Marie. I guess it depends on what kind of sewing you'll do. Does your 66 have backtack/reverse? The 66-16 and later does, I believe. The 15-91's have reverse. Stitch length mechanisms may be similar or totally different. The 15-91s can drop feed dogs. I don't know if the 66 you have does. Which model of 66 is it?

In general, they are similar machines, and I believe... someone catch me if I'm wrong on this.... but I believe that the later 66's and the 15's will fit in the same cabinets (hinge plates/screws in same places). So you could keep ONE cabinet, but swap out machine heads as you wanted/needed.

In case you don't know, or someone hasn't mentioned it to you already....

Some of the 'mid' 66's like the 66-6 are electric (I have one).... but have the wiring done a little differently than the later 66's.

My 66-6 does NOT have a removable foot controller. (Most of the later 66's and the 15-91s in cabinets, DO have a floor foot controller mounted on a metal clip/plate on the inside of the cabinet. The knee lever of the cabinet merely presses the foot controller button to make it go. Therefore, if for some reason, you wanted to slide that foot controller off the plate and set it on the floor to use - you can. It's meant to use either on the floor or with the cabinet knee mechanism. That might be something that you'll want to think about in making your choices.

A lot is going to depend on your sewing needs, what you have space for, and simply what machine 'feels' right to you.
Good luck!