Old 05-13-2011, 05:08 PM
Glenn

Originally Posted by Glenn
Originally Posted by kwendt
Originally Posted by mpeters1200
My Singer 66-16 has the drop in bobbin. The machine guy says in order to do FMQ, the feed dogs have to be removed. Apparently, they just unscrew and pop out. I certainly haven't tried it yet. I know a 15-91 would probably be better to FMQ with. Is FMQ impossible with the horizontal drop in bobbin vs. the vertical one?
Oh... I'm sorry, Marie. Another thing. There's a feed dog cover plate that you can put on top of the feed dogs on a 16. You can find covers with the button hole attachments or the darners. I would think you might could use those too?

Glenn? Everyone? Is that true and can be done? I'm not sure if the fabrics would 'snag' on the cover's edges?

I just went and checked my 66 buttonholer and attachments. The button holer's feed cover is long and rectangular - screws into the bed. So I bet the SCREW used to attach the cover to the bed of the machine gets in the way. Right? Bummer.
If you release all the tension on the presure foot so the fabric moves freely you can free motion quilt. And yes there is an embroidery cover that can be put on over the feed dogs and you can free motion quilt all daylong. It covers the feed dogs. This cover is available for the 66's and is universal (don't need to worry about the side or back clamp. I free motion quilt all the time on my 66. Glenn
Here is the pic of the attachment I often use for free motion quilting

darning plate for the 66
[ATTACH=CONFIG]196649[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-196643.jpe