Old 05-13-2011, 06:15 PM
miriam
Power Poster

Originally Posted by jtapp9
Originally Posted by kwendt
Originally Posted by jtapp9
http://cgi.ebay.com/SINGER-401A-401-...item1e62c3e570

Do you think this is worth $125. I offered $100 and he counter offered. I don't really mind that price but then the shipping is $37.

I really wanted the 500 but from what I'm reading the only difference is the looks...this is still cheaper than the 500's and I can learn to live without the space age look..lol
The 401s' are great too. Internal cam stack, AND takes top hats (which are easily found). All metal, for the most part. People love them. They fit in lots of cabinets and even a card table (see the ISMACS site for Singer cabinets). I have a 403 (the less glitzy version)... and it sews very nicely. I paid $125 for machine (403a), the case, the attachments/book, AND the card table. (which was a great deal).
What do you mean by less glitzy :). there is a 403a that may be cheaper with no case.

Will these 400 and 500 run sitting on a table or do they have to be in something?

And thanks for your help!
403s have a bit more control of the stitch width - what you see is what you get - but you have to have the top hats to do any decorative stitches. The 401 & 500 really only need 5 top hats since the rest are built into the cam stack. I've had my 401 on CL and no replies - sigh. The 400s are cosmetically a bit different. The doors hold up a bit better than the 500s. DIL loves, loves, loves the looks of her 500. She's into 'modern' and it motivates her to sew. They can go in a cabinet or you can put them on a table top or in a case. You can get replacement feet for the bottom of the machine if the feet are gone or worn - won't scratch up the table then.