Old 05-14-2011, 07:16 AM
Gabrielle's Mimi

Originally Posted by JanetM
How about the ruler method of folding fabric. Because you have such deep shelves, after folding your fabric around the 6 x 24 ruler, slip the fabric off, and just fold it once, in half. Your fabric will then measure approx. 6 x 22 (width of ruler x ½ the 44 width of fabric)

Here is a tutorial to help you,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkTlaMqRlwo
I just did this with my stash and it worked out just wonderfully! The only thing I did differently was to cut a stack of index cards in half, then MEASURE the fabric, write down the measurement on one of the index card pieces, then staple it to the folded fabric. No more guessing if a piece will work in a given pattern.
The other thing you can do is keep your projects in plastic bags, but put a certain number of them into a plastic bin, and put a LABEL on the front of the bin indicating what is in those plastic bags (ie: pattern name, or book, and what is needed). The only problem I have with bags and bins is that stuff gets "lost" and a year or two later you're saying "I didn't know I had that!" So label, label, label! Invest in a label maker...they are fairly inexpensive and it makes it fun to get organized.