View Single Post
Old 05-14-2011, 08:04 AM
mpspeedy

I do almost exclusively handquilting. I love the continious line stencils that they make for machine quilting. They make it easier to handquilt as there is less stopping and starting. For pieced quilts with fairly small pieces I usually just quilt 1/4 inch inside and outside the seams to make the design pop. I like to use wavy or chain designs in plain borders to give some motion to geometric pieced quilts. I have quilted a couple of Baltimore alblum type quilts for customers. Those I usually echo the applique 1/4" around the design and then crosshatch the whole sourounding top. It makes the appliques stand out and get the credit they deserve. I have often used cookie cutters for designs especially on children's quilts. It is amazing how many different ones you can find and some are quite large. I collect them as souvenoir on my travels. They are more practical then other items. My favorite thing to quilt is a wholecloth or printed top, what I call Cheater's cloth. As a handquilter seams are the bane of my existance. I get a lot of my stencils from "Golden Threads" They also have frequent sales on their mini wholecloth quilts. I usually have one of them sandwhiched and ready to take anywhere I go.