View Single Post
Old 05-14-2011, 08:18 AM
Cre8tvlwyr

Originally Posted by sallylansing
My quilt guild has this quilt as their opportunity quilt for this year. The drawing will be done in June. Check out Orange Grove Quilters Guild web site. Also soon we'll have a picture of our quilt for next year, it's all animals, a mama possum with her babies, lots of applique and lots of embroidrey (all by hand)
Keep watching for the picture.
Sally
Wow Sally - your guild's AOTH looks fantastic!! :mrgreen: I've been thinking of a black tone on tone background. Maybe Baron's in Camarillo [going out of business] will have a dark green tone on tone ... although as I think about it the leaves on the flower blocks will simply drown.

I was looking through the book last night. I LOVE to hand applique especially in the eves with DH watching the tube. I have only two flowers left on the center wreath of "Amelia's Rose Garden" then the hand applique will be done. I'll post the site of one of the quilts done if you dont know the pattern.

Sally - I'll have to keep an eye on your guild and make the treck to come check it out sometime - if you go on the run, maybe we could meet up down there [and up here too for that matter.] I'm co-chairing our guild's quilt show end of September - Conejo Valley Quilt guild. Our opportunity quilt is also hand quilted and embellished this time - check it out! :-) In fact check out the main site too - this should take you immediately to the flyer ad.

http://www.conejovalleyquilters.com/...Poster_web.pdf

And if I find Amelia's Rose Garden... ah ha!! This is the one made by my LQS a few years ago [when I purchased - NOT made mine :roll: still a WIP!! at least it's out of the UFO stack :oops:

http://www.cottonandchocolate.com/ca...hp?category=42

If you go to thevintagespool.com you can see quick versions of it under the 'welcome' - it is Verna Mosquera's pattern. Her work is so spectacular - but I can't find her entire quilt up. [I should stay away from the site - as she has a few others I'd like to make.... AOTH FIRST!!!]

Ladies - if I havent said so before - officially in!! Gotta sort out the background but I will make it original size and applique from my stash with batiks and some Kaffe Fasset and other interesting prints probably on a mid-to-dark background to pop it. I'm also considering putting it on point... When I hand applique - I've tried freezer paper both on bottom & top, glue, needleturn ... I always come back to the needleturn for some reason [although I love the David Taylor method w/freezer paper] In finishing Amelia's wreath - I'll try to get some pics up soon - I got lazy and simply relied on tracing the pattern on background & applique sections, cutting scant 1/4" around and clipping as I approach.

Looking forward to this!! still catching up on all of your posts - on pg 30 now :roll: :oops: :cry: