Thread: Grandma's Quilt
View Single Post
Old 05-14-2011, 08:47 AM
n2scraplvr

Originally Posted by Briar Rose
Originally Posted by n2scraplvr
So very beautiful! I use feedsacks in with vintage and newer fabrics and love the look! Feedsacks are rough feeling and coarser than cotton. You can tell just by looking at them usually. They look loosely woven so you can spot them right away! It's gorgeous! :D ;) ;)
What about flour sacks?
In your last pic, the 2nd block on the left is definitely a feedsack print with turquoise background and the pink and blue on the right is feedsack material. I don't feel the yellow one is a feedsack print. Flour sacks are quite different from the feedsacks. The printing on them were water soluable but can still be found with some of the inks on them. Usually the line that tells you how to remove the ink from the flour sack is still visible on the backs of quilt blocks today. Most of the feed sacks and flour sacks from the 30's were used in clothing because of the depression era and not being able to afford new clothing. Many were used in quilts though and are quite distinctive in appearance. After you view a couple of the prints, it becomes easier to spot them. Flour sacks are still being made today in cotton fabric by a company in Kansas, (I think Kansas Seal) but you can purchase reproductions of those prints at many fabric shops today. You have a real treasure there!

:D :D

one of my minis of all feedsacks
[ATTACH=CONFIG]196846[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-196840.jpe