Old 05-14-2011, 10:21 AM
BoJangles

Originally Posted by miriam
I love my 503a -- love the looks of it and everything about it, but the bobbin winder -- and I got mine at a barn sale for $10 (pictured page 683)! Those old girls have really been coming up in price now that people have 'discovered' that machine! I only use mine for decorative stitches, but love the machine!

Nancy

I like the 503, too. Pretty cool machine. I wonder why your bobbin winder doesn't work right. I can see how it could be a pain in the butt... Is the spring still there and installed correctly? Does it have the right tire? Are you stringing it according to the manual? Once we got hers figures out, the 503 I gave to my DIL winds very nice. I guess you could always wind it on something else though. Details.
The bobbin winder works great, but to keep it from being engaged all the time, I have a rubber band holding it over! And no, the bobbin winder kick out spring is missing. I ordered one, but can't figure out how to install it. I will take it in to our local sewing repair guy one of these days so he can install that spring!

Nancy