Thread: Grandma's Quilt
View Single Post
Old 05-14-2011, 10:35 AM
Briar Rose

Originally Posted by Happy Treadler
Beautiful quilt! I THINK it's a 1930's-ish era quilt, am I correct? Could you please tell me how it is binded? I'm working on finishing an old log cabin quilt for my SIL that her grandma never finished (I hand tied it after researching how the original ones were done, but I don't know if I should do a regular binding or not). Hoping to give it back to her for her birthday in June. She thinks she just gave it to me because she knows I love quilts, so she should be surprised when she gets it back.
Now, that's interesting. I've just started doing some machine quilting tops, so I don't know much. It seems that the binding has been sewn (re-sewn) by someone on a machine in recent years. My mom had it for awhile, so she might have done that to save it. I don't know. It is apparent to me now that the backing is feedsack material and I'm guessing most of the rest. I don't know when she did it. I was born in 51 and always lived nearby and never saw her doing any quilting, so I think it was a survival quilt from way back.