Old 05-14-2011, 10:37 AM
sueisallaboutquilts
Power Poster

Originally Posted by justflyingin
Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts

This experience is hopefully going to enable me to curtail the impulse spending. (No snickering) hahahaha

Sue
This is so funny... But seriously, it does tend to help you realize that you don't actually NEED certain fabrics...just that you want them. It does help...it really does. If you have fabrics that you love and want to use, it makes you eager to get in your sewing room and sew!!!

And I wouldn't put my sewing machine down low on a shelf that you have to "set up" each time. Why do that? I'd leave it on top of a table and just cover it with a machine cover so it's ready in an instant to sew. (someone mentioned earlier in this thread that you might find room on a lower shelf for machines, if I remember right.)

Keep up the good work. I took on the task of folding my fabrics, but since I don't have shelving, I just use big plastic bins...organized by color--using the ruler method of folding. It was cheap, organized, and other people could help me. I actually paid two other ladies to do it since they needed money and I wanted to spend my time sewing, not folding fabric.

I love how easy it is to see the fabric in my bins after the folding project. I'm still uncovering things I need to fold, though...but also as we folded (I did a lot of it, too), I took the smaller pieces, threw them in one spot, and started cutting them into strips as per Bonnie Hunter's website to be used in scrap quilts. This gets rid of tiny odds and ends out of the boxes and gives me "great pieces for scrap quilts." :) Now I have so many 1.5" strips and 2" strips...
Love the idea of cutting up scraps for ready made projects!
My Bernina stays where it is but I have vintage Singers that I like to use also. But as you can see I can't use anything right now lol
That's why I've been in my kitchen with my FW- fun, but not the answer hehe
Thank you!
PS. Geeezzzz I'm getting "punchy"- I already replied to you :mrgreen: :mrgreen: