Old 05-14-2011, 07:57 PM
cherrybsixty

Originally Posted by mpeters1200
Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by mpeters1200
I had not before seen a sewing machine that didn't have zig zag on it, though now I realize they also have machines that don't have reverse. I'm learning a TON reading this shop. When the time comes, I hope I'll figure out if it can FMQ or not.

I know Glenn really likes his 66 and can't wait to hear his opinion on FMQ on the 66.
Mpeters1200, I had to laugh after reading this post! You must be very young girl! Zigzag in sewing machines didn't happen regularly until the 50's and later. Most of our vintage machines didn't even reverse, much less zigzag. The early machines that did zigzag were pretty much doing it with the help of a cam or external device. It is so funny the things we learn, things we just take for granted that we always had! I love it!

Nancy
Yes, I am. I'm going to be 32 this month.

I wish my mom would have lived long enough to see me own

Sorry about the book. I'm literally trying to soak it all up like a sponge. Honestly, these older machines remind me of old cars, gears, cams, goodness, lots of parts!
M. take your time, don't try to soak it all up at once. It's a lot to learn. I'm 63 and I grow up with some of this old machines and there are things I didn't realize about them either. That's why the shop is here and that is one reason why the shop was created so that we all can learn from one another. We all didn't just start out knowing these things. We were growing into it via trial and error and asking questions. You are in the right place and keep right here and learning by reading and doing. We are here to help you so that you may share with someone also.