Old 05-14-2011, 08:53 PM
vintagemotif

[quote=cherrybsixty][quote=mpeters1200]
Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by mpeters1200

Yes, I am. I'm going to be 32 this month.

I wish my mom would have lived long enough to see me own

Sorry about the book. I'm literally trying to soak it all up like a sponge. Honestly, these older machines remind me of old cars, gears, cams, goodness, lots of parts!
M. take your time, don't try to soak it all up at once. It's a lot to learn. I'm 63 and I grow up with some of this old machines and there are things I didn't realize about them either. That's why the shop is here and that is one reason why the shop was created so that we all can learn from one another. We all didn't just start out knowing these things. We were growing into it via trial and error and asking questions. You are in the right place and keep right here and learning by reading and doing. We are here to help you so that you may share with someone also.

mpeters, I'm new at all of this too. Started collecting machines last summer. I would have only been collecting Singers if it hadn't been for this site and the wonderful folk here posting pictures of their beautiful machines, and/or talking about them. I have spent hours researching info. I see something on CLs or ebay and then google the info to learn more or see if the information is correct.

I didn't know what a cam was either. I learned to sew on a Necchi Supernova that had cams; just that my mom never showed me how to use them since she didn't use them (she was an excellent seamstress that made all her Vogue clothes).

It wasn't until Purplfiend, Sharon, posted her zig-zag machine that got me wanting a zig-zag machine to treadle, and then an interest in finding a machine that does decorative stitches that can be treadled-and cams!

There are different types of cams for different machines.
Photo of flat cams for my 328k and a photo of the Singer 328k in treadle.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-197206.jpe   attachment-197207.png