View Single Post
Old 05-15-2011, 06:03 AM
bearisgray
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Blinkokr
It is almost impossible to wash them, as then you have all sizes. . . . .
Ellen
Which is why I do prewash - I have this silly idea that my blocks/project will stay nicer (the way I intended it - which, in my case, is flat and unwarped) if all the pieces in it will stay approximately the same size after being sewn and washed.

Yes, there will be some squaring up of the units - interesting to see how they change shape - but I'd rather do it "before" than have a crappy finished product "later"

I also think one should be able to wash an item such as a placemat, child's quilt, (any item one expects to wash ), put it in the dryer, and it will be "good to go"

Just for the record - I do wash finished items in cool to tepid water on a gentle cycle, rinse in cold (my washer only has "cold" for rinse settings) and dry on a gentle cycle only to "barely dry" Take the item out and smooth it out, fold it and put it away, or put it back to use.

I think having to block a finished item would be aggravating - especially when I can do a bit of extra work "up front" and not have to deal with it again and again over the life of the item.