Old 05-15-2011, 03:10 PM
blahel

Location: other side of the black stump, Perth Western Australia

Originally Posted by catrancher
Originally Posted by Candace
This is just my opinion, but what I see in most landscape quilts that work best are that the fabrics for grass, buildings etc. are not literal. Meaning, they aren't fabrics that are printed with stone, or grass patterned fabric. They tend to be the same color way as the objects, but the patterning with thread is what gives it life and the interpretation of the viewer adds to the interest of the piece.
I think you may have nailed it. Lots of thread to tone down the harsh lines in the fabric maybe? Or...start over. I haven't decided yet.
I am definitely no artist but I am interested in art quilting and have read some on the subject. I read somewhere that you use white and dark tulle to cover areas that you want to darken or lighten..hope that helps. I think it looks great so far and remember this is your FIRST art quilt and you will only get better! Look at this as your learning piece and allow it not to be perfect..I think once you finish it you will be very happy with the outcome as many quilts only look ok but once finished with quilting etc look amazing.