View Single Post
Old 05-15-2011, 07:11 PM
Cre8tvlwyr

Originally Posted by SewExtreme
Originally Posted by sharon b
Ok have a question- with the batiks do you prewash them ? I went and got a bunch of 1/8 and 1/4 yard cuts- but am thinking washing them will create a mess :shock: any suggestions ?
Ok, ladies, here I am... the one going against the stream... I prewash EVERYTHING. I cannot work with fabric if I don't. The chemicals irritate my finger tips. Normally I toss everything in the washer on hot water wash, use scissors to cut the strings prior to putting in the dryer. I do use a color catcher cloth but I used to do it without color catchers and still had success.

I agree with the bowl method on 1/8 pieces as it would cut down on a true mess. Just my 2¢ worth. :-D
I know.... a very old quote from pg 41 - I've been here a few times.... but this time have started from pg 1. Guess I'm afraid I missed something!! :roll:

I thought I'd share a few things about pre-wash... ahum. i basically try to avoid it but - one of my closest friends who got me back into quilting about 4 yrs ago after I passed the bar and I needed a sanity break because of my daughter's horrific disease and my mom's aging in a nursing home I thought we'd never have her in...
anyway - Karen told me 'Monica you dont need to prewash anything - just use 'Retayne' or some other "S..." thing [not cursing it starts with "s" :lol:
So I started to make my Peggy Martin pieced stars in the same colors as Peggy Martin - very VERY BOLD on dark blue background. After slaving over five of the twelve or sixteen, I needed a swatch of one of the reds I used and blues in another project. Both of these bled over the entire project and although I did get most of it out, I found it really frustrating.

Having said that - I now prewash the suspicious ones. After the above experience I did discover color grabers - I get mine from Target. The cloth ones work better, but paperish sheets that look like softener sheet "color catchers" are just as good if you use a few at a time. I use them constantly with clothes that can run now. Had one pink wash without them once [DH refused to wear all those t-shirts] have NEVER had even the worst offenders bleed on my wash since finding these sheets!! they are the best.

OK - now that I'm writing a book... [you'll learn to appreciate my not posting often..hum]
two things I've learned from quilters...
1- Sharon Schamber - who continues to win quilting awards - washes all fabrics she is had appliqueing - but not the background fabric. She says because the background will shrink ever so little, it pulls her stitching slightly more to the back of her applique - COOL huh :thumbup:

then my friend & owner of LQS said that washing after you quilt rather than before you start your project will give you a much softer look to your quilting....another :thumbup: not quite as high as the other one - but great anyway...

ah - now to order background fabric - I was looking at CT dreamscape cavern..
http://www.connectingthreads.com/cff...7&show=fabrics

or Mirage Iris - a deep purple - on sale at CT for $2.96!
http://www.connectingthreads.com/fab...lidsMirageSale
too much choice! just not sure I want black, but that Peggy Martin quilt is on a deep blue background...