Old 05-15-2011, 08:03 PM
fabric whisperer

Location: Ohio... wanna build a cabin in the woods and live off the land... and quilt all day!

Many of you have waited patiently for me to get this far, and now that all my other little projects are caught up, I am jammin' on this one for the wedding June 25th ~ for those of you who don't know, my family hankies (all but one poor little survivor) were destroyed by what we thought was a mouse ~ now we think it was a possum, which by the way was found DOA on the road this morning. Ugly little (big) bugger.

I HAVE been working on lots and lots of preparatory stuffs for this quilt in the background, I have been picking at it for a month now, and now we're in full gear for it. Its come down to 2 different designs, and as my signature line says, Its a design-as-we-go project. I'm listening. And doing what feels right for each new step.

The last of the hankies are in for a soak tonight. The oxyclean did wonders! The outer edge of the final quilt will have more hankies featured. I learned one very frustrating element of hankies. They are NOT all square, and no matter how you wet some, now matter how much starch (Mary Ellen's Best Press) you use, some just will not, no how, now way, become magically square.

So on to some pics... you can see what I mean by all the prep, lots of applique pieces cut out, lots of 2" squares cut of 18 different fabrics to get my rainbow, and lots and lots of fussing with hankies! :) I will have lots more progress pics thru the week...

center panel...
[ATTACH=CONFIG]197638[/ATTACH]

a closeup of what's goin' on with the butterflies at the first stage...
[ATTACH=CONFIG]197639[/ATTACH]

now you can see more of the center of the whole quilt coming together...
[ATTACH=CONFIG]197641[/ATTACH]

My table for laying out is only this big, but you can see where I'm at... hope to have this part sewn together tomorrow, I had to lay it out to decide how fat to cut my Kona White... ends up being about 15" sashes for the first ring of butterflies :)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]197643[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-197632.jpe   attachment-197633.jpe   attachment-197634.jpe   attachment-197635.jpe   attachment-197637.jpe