Old 05-16-2011, 07:22 AM
mpeters1200

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Originally Posted by mpeters1200
Originally Posted by vintagemotif

m
There are different types of cams for different machines.
Photo of flat cams for my 328k and a photo of the Singer 328k in treadle.
So those are cams. The machine has to have those to make decorative stitches right? How do they work? Having one on, does it somehow change how and when the needle comes down to create the stitches? While those are super neat and I've not seen them before, they would seem to make a machine really complicated to use.

Thanks for posting pictures. It was hard to picture in my head what those look like. The light bulb went on and I understood!

My mom sewed all our clothes for as long as she could. She would skim through penny's and ward's catalogues and pick things for us. We got to pick one or two things we liked. Then, we'd come in from playing one day and the clothes would be on our beds to put away. I had no idea that she made them, especially without a pattern, until much, much later. I only have a couple memories of when she had the machine out.

I posted picture of where the cams get positioned in the machine. The cams sit on disc spindle under the large silver thumb screw. You can find a Singer 328 manual online that has directions for using the cams.

My mom mainly made her own clothes, but from time to time she would make a dress or coat for others. She made me a beautiful navy blue wool coat when I was around six. I loved that coat! I wish she had kept it, but she donated it to a child who needed a warm coat after I had outgrown the coat. At least the coat served a better purpose than sitting in a box waiting for me to open it every 10 years to admire, it kept a child warm. And the beautiful Necchi machine went off to a woman that needed a sewing machine when my mom decided she wanted her Bernina 830, some 30 years ago.

Your mom sounds very special. She left you with wonderful memories. Now, you can make wonderful quilts with your vintage machines for your children. And maybe leave a vintage machine for one of them.:)
That does help my understanding of where they are in the machine. After reading the post with directions on how to insert and change them, they still seem really complicated to me. Beautiful stitching though! I really look forward to using my machine more. I did discover that circular pieces are much easier to stitch on the 66 than the Janome. I made a flower pin cushion and needed to sew together a couple circles. Stitched so well on the 66 I should have done that first!

Mom stopped sewing before she stopped doing everything else. It was one of the first things she couldn't do anymore. I know she saw a quilt or two I made, but I don't think she could see the detail in the stitching or quilting at all. Her eyes were bad and I don't know how well she could see with her glasses.