Old 05-16-2011, 12:34 PM
serenitybygrace

I am a beginner and I would not even try to make a landscape quilt. You are doing very well. I will give you my opinion, and please take it as such, not criticism or anything negative.
To me, in making anythhing, writing a paper, drawing a picture or making a quilt, sometimes, I reach a frustration stage. That is what I am hearing from you. If I can recognize my frustration stage and let it work for me, I ususlly come out with a better product and feel absolutely wonderful about the product in the end...like it just fits.
In pictures of a scene, the most detail goes in the front and then less in the middle ground and even less in the background. I get it that the house is really your focal point. The fence and the detail--some of the little flowering plants in the foreground lead your eye back. You have the idea with the detailed grass. There just needs a little more. Also, the trees and flowerpot on this side of the house need to be downplayed some..like perhaps making them a lighter color and make openings where the house shows through. The large tree to the left of the path also needs some downplay..a lighter color or making more openings where the house shows through. I like that tree there because it covers a large expanse of rock wall of the house that would be boring without it. Maybe you could just tweek it a bit. I notice that some of the small plants in the foreground have red or pink flowers that are small but those dots of red/pink also lead your eye back to the large flowerpot on the rock wall because it also has some red/pink in it.
These are just some of the things I see. I know you will work this out. I think you are just in the frustration stage and that is a creative stage. Keep looking at your photograph and at your quilt and try to tweek the picture on your quilt one way or another. You are going to love, love, love this quilt. Push through your frustration and make changes. I can hardly wait to see it finished. It is going to be absolutely wonderful and what a precious keepsake from your trip! Thank you for sharing and being open for other's opinions.
I am so sorry, I didn't mean to get on here twice. I thought the first one was lost.