Old 05-16-2011, 01:39 PM
quiltjoey

Originally Posted by catrancher
I'm taking a class from Quilt University--no complaints about the class so far. I'm just not very happy with the quilt I'm making. What do you think is wrong with this? Are my fabrics too busy? Something else? Am I putting in too much? Not enough? I'm thinking it will improve when I add thread embellishment to define some things, but will it improve enough that I'll be happy with it?

I'm giving you a picture of the image I'm working from--a little stone house I saw while traveling in Italy--followed by my so-called quilt interpretation.

I've never considered myself very artistic, and I'm feeling pretty discouraged by this. I'm only about 1/3 finished with it, obviously. Any constructive feedback would be appreciated.
I love you landscape! ...IJMHO said with kindness: Some of the things I would do is: leave the mountains alone, move the green tree to the left on the other side of the walk and maybe closer to the front of the picture to draw you to the end of the path; add more stones to the church when the green tree is moved. Next, I would tone down the red tree and maybe make it a smaller as well. My eyes are drawn to the greenness of the tree and the red bush. They seen to be competing with the church which I think was meant for your focus of the landscape. I think you have done a fabulous job as I remember my first landscape was a labor of love and took a lot of tweaking til I got it the way I wanted it. It is also my avatar...
Again, kindly submitted...