View Single Post
Old 05-16-2011, 06:23 PM
OHSue

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom
Several :)

"Cutting for Stone" by Abraham Verghese - young boys (twins) growing up in an Ethiopian Missionary hospital and learning to be doctors from their adoptive parents. I like stories in foreign places that give me 'flavors' of their culture and history. Was a great read. First person narrative (one of the twins).

"The Help" by Katherine Stockett. One of the best books I've read in years. Again 1st person narrative but told by 3 different people. Takes place in Mississippi in the 60's - 2 of the narrators are AA maids to rich white women, the other is a rich white woman who doesn't quite agree that AA maids are "different". You "feel" the 60's. Excellent read (or listen as is how I "read" it). They're making a movie out of this one, I think it releases in August.

"Room" by Emma Donoghue. Another 1st person narrative (getting the hint yet?), but this time by a 5 year old boy. He describes everything as nouns ... his room is named "room", "chair", "wardrobe", etc. He and his mother are confined to this room but I won't tell you how or why as that would give it away. I enjoyed the book as a whole, very original and fresh perspective. Not crazy about the ending though but it didn't "ruin" the book for me.
I second all of these. Also want to add
Unbroken by Laura Hildebrand
Scattered Lives (forget the author)
Double Vision by Lisa Scotoline

I read two or three books a week so I don't keep all of them in mind, but these have stood out in the recent readings.