View Single Post
Old 05-17-2011, 07:41 AM
reeskylr

Originally Posted by ckcowl
my youngest granddaughter was 4 when she made her first quilt...we started with a little people (toy-singer) it did a simple chain stitch- and was more aggrivation than worth- i went shopping, found an inexpensive Brother machine that had speed control on it...i think that is a very important feature on a machine a child will use.
she already had her own stash of fabrics...she laid them out on the floor how she wanted them- she worked as if on a design wall- picking up 2 pieces, sewing them together- replacing them, taking next, ect...
some of her seams were 1 1/2" wide, some were 1/8" wide...i did not criticize- or make her change anything- it was her project...
it meant everything to her- her daddy had just been deployed and she was afraid he would forget her...
she even printed her favorite picture of her daddy holding her- onto fabric and included it in the quilt-
when she got the top done i tipped a dresser onto it's side for her to stand/walk on and she used the long-arm to quilt it
we did a folded binding (back to front) so she could do that part too...
the only thing i did through the whole project (took her 4 days) was
i pressed any fabric she felt needed ironing-
and i loaded the quilt on the big frame- she was not big enough to help with that...
she used scissors and cut her own fabrics...
and 6 1/2 years later- daddy is getting ready to deploy again...and that quilt still travels the world..and is looking pretty good.
Wow, that is just awesome. I'd love to see that little quilt that Dad still carries with him.