View Single Post
Old 05-17-2011, 01:57 PM
QuiltE
Power Poster

Originally Posted by chickadeee55
QuiltE, Thank you for your words.

I have an appointment tonight to get my test results. About two weeks ago I have to go for some vision skill testing to determine how bad my VC was. Tonight I get those results.

My VC is bad enough that it effects me doing my job now, I spend alot of time on a computer and working with excel spreadsheets. I also gave up knitting 4 years ago, because of blurred vision. Which I am sure was the VC.

When I had my skill testing they put prisms in front of my eyes to see if they would help and it did, but they told me this is not a cure and your eyes will get worse. So, that mainly told me the therapy was my only hope.

What bothers me is I don't have any references to look at for the therapy, is it worth it. Yes, it is my eyes, but if the therapy doesn't work my option is prisms. I wanted some statics on it. Can't be found. I have read that at home therapy with computer programs don't work. (you can buy the software) But they say you need a clinic setting for the effect. Hmmm.

I don't know what I will do, I am concerned about my ability to so my job now, I also gave up reading books years ago, just can't do it, I get real bad eye strain headaches and then migraines after that.

Again, thank you for your comments. I will have to see what I learn at my appt tonight. The doctor I am seeing is an O.D.
Tonight, I'd ask some pretty pointed questions if I were you. What happens if we delay the therapy? They aren't giving you much certainty of it working. Also, why not try the prisms for now? They will cost you less and honestly, I'd be having all the symptoms as you are, if I were not using them.

I will admit I do use non-prism-cheaters for quick reads (eg. labels/tags in stores) as I tend not to take my prism glasses from home, unless I know I will really need them. Too expensive to risk their loss! Though if I know I will be using my glasses a lot, they go with me .... particularly to sewing classes! Otherwise, I cannot function for long, if I don't use my prism glasses!

Another thought ... by chance are you near a University School of Opthamology or a hospital with a specialized clinc (often attached to a University here). It might be worthwhilte for you to ask for a referral so you can get a 2nd opinion from them, and who knows, perhaps get other options for dealing with this.

Good Luck ... and let us know what you learn tonight!