Thread: Getting Started
View Single Post
Old 05-17-2011, 06:36 PM
Joan

Originally Posted by sweetpea13
Hey So I am a absolute beginner. I have a few questions for yall if you don't mind.

*How did you get started?
*what is/are your inspiration(s)?
*Do you hand sew or use a machine and why?
*Do you have any tips or advice for me?
*I hear it can be very expensive to start, is that true?

Thank you so much for spending time on answering my questions:)
1. My first quilt was made for my daughter 36 years ago before mats and rotary cutters. It was my intention to make a quilt for each child but I soon got too busy raising kids to quilt. So, when my daughter had my first grandson, it seemed like the perfect time to make a baby quilt. I started from "scratch" learning how to use rotary cutters and everything else.
2. Everything is my inspiration---a piece of fabric, a reason (like a new grandbaby), or a good cause (charity quilt)----I have so many projects going on and lots of ideas for many more.
3.I use the machine to piece quilts but also like to embroider and do applique by hand.
4.This bulletin board is the BEST! I have learned so much from more experienced members and there is always someone to help you. (I also joined two local guilds I enjoy, too)
5. You can spend a lot of money getting started or very little, the choice is yours. I used my Mom's sewing machine, bought a mat and a cutter and started. Fabric has gotten more expensive but it can be found cheaper than the local quilt stores. (thousandsofbolts.com, thrift stores, garage sales)

I hope that helps and good luck to you. I love quilting. :P