View Single Post
Old 04-01-2009, 06:24 AM
Feathers

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
Here is an example why it is important to purchase from a local and reliable resource:

I just remembered a story about my first sewing machine research.

DH and I went to Wards because we had credit there and they carried sewing machines. The sales guy from the mattress department came over and was surprised that I wanted to test a machine. Of course, none of them were complete to the point of actually doing that (testing). Mr. Mattress went in search of a bobbin and he climbed into the storage cabinet looking for I don't know what. (He had NO idea what a bobbin looked like - lol) In the meantime, I had pulled a bobbin from one of the other machines and loaded it into the machine I wanted to drive. The sales guy apparently did not like my assertiveness and informed me that it was HIS job to do the setup CORRECTLY.

Drumroll please: He then yanked about 2 feet of thread out of the bobbin and tried to PUSH the thread up through the throatplate. I don't think I ever laughed so hard (internally).

NO, I did not buy a machine from WARDS.
I DID buy a machine from Wards back in the very early 70's and it was a work horse. In 1991 I bought my New Home Memorcy Craft and sent the Wards machine home with our daughter who used it and used it. At Christmas this daughter said she finally RETIRED the Wards machine as it needed work that the repair person told her would be more costly than buying a new machine ...between us we got almost 40 years of very good service from that machine and I think I paid something like $169.00 for it new. DD is now ready to take possession of the New Home !

When I bought my New Home I got it through a dealer and WOW, did they ever go all out to give me instructions and had an 800 number for phone support and would even call me periodically to see if I had any questions. I stopped in the store about a year ago and they were still just as quick and ready to help me out. I like doing business with them and when I replace the New Home I'm pretty sure I'll be going back to this same dealer.