View Single Post
Old 05-18-2011, 11:09 AM
Kas

Originally Posted by Johanna Fritz
Originally Posted by Kas
I only done a OBW without washing first and you aren't supposed to starch or wash those first.
*What is an OBW?*

I always wash. You may be tight on yardage, but why not add another color (complementary color - something from color wheel etc?) After you sew unwashed fabric you have 3 issues:
1. The sizing on unwashed fabric dulls your rotary blade.
2. When you wash after piecing, dyes may run.
3. When you wash after piecing, fabric may shrink unevenly- puckered or stretched seams possible.
4. Sizing can cause some rash on hands to some. If you give the quilt - baby for example, if you have not washed the fabrics and the new quilt owner doesn't either, the new owner can suffer rash issues - especially kids.

It only takes one quilt with hours of your time to have #2 & #3 above happen - what a nightmare. Nothing worse than having some shrink a little and some a lot - all in the same quilt. Yuck.
Oops! I never answered your question. An OBW is the One Block Wonder quilt and is sort of like a stack n whack kaliedescope except not. And I am a little worried about uneven shrinkage, but I will quilt it pretty close, so that shouldn't be too much of a problem.