View Single Post
Old 04-01-2009, 05:36 PM
JoanneS

Originally Posted by quiltingbee12
I am not recomending a sewing machine, because I only have old ones. But, stay away from the newer singers, unless it is the XL-Quatam or whatever its called. I do not recomend Computerized because while I have never sewed on one, they are very expensive to repair if you are sewing and there is a power outage you have a big issue. Etc.
I do second the Elna. I know someone who loves the one she has, and they have some great features.
I TOTALLY DISAGREE about the computerized machines - I have 3! Use a surge protector, and a power outage won't hurt you. Same as for your computer. And they are only expensive to repair if something happens to your computer board, which is virtually never. Servicing (the once a year thing you SHOULD have on any machine you use a lot) is only $20 more at my dealer for a computerized machine.

I have used computerized sewing machines since they first came out. My first was a Viking in about 1988. Now, I have 3 Pfaffs - all computerized. We have had power outages, and my machines have NEVER been damaged, because they're plugged into surge protectors. The plusses with computerized machines are fabulous.

My dealer sells Brothers, Vikings and Pfaffs. The quilters love Pfaffs because of the built-in 'walking foot.' They call it 'even feed' but it's the same as a walking foot without the hassle of putting it on and taking it off, and you can use the fancy stitches with it, which you can't do with a foot you have to put on and off. Makes machine quilting a dream.

I do agree with everyone who says TRY OUT EVERY MACHINE you are interested in. Take samples of the types of fabric and battings you use, and use them on the machines. Even if you don't have a local dealer, you will have to have your machine serviced occasionally. That makes the dealer important. Dealers stand behind their machines. You may not live close enough to take advantage of their classes, but when you buy the machine, they should take the time to teach you how to use it!