View Single Post
Old 05-18-2011, 03:31 PM
AliKat

Originally Posted by ontheriver
Was wondering if anyone has ever had this problem: last year I fell and hit my right hand. Thought I broke my little finger, but xray said no. Months later my finger still hurt and now is getting all bent. The last couple of months the two fingers next to the little one has been hurting. It pains me to just open and close my hand, aches all the time. I can not pick up anything with any weight because of the pain, sometimes not even my drink. I am right handed so this is slowing down my sewing. Anyone have any ideas? I do have appt. with rheum. doc, but not till July.
OK folks here it is from a retired Nurse Practitioner:

Go to your own private/personal care physician. [b] Have all your blood work done asap.[/b Based on the testing they will do, like repeat Xrays, and your lab work they may even start you on a medication before you are seen by the rheumatologist. Don't wait. You have a right to having the blood work and all done and then treatment started! And ... keep your records of everything. A spiral bound notebook is great for this as the pages won't fall out easily.

FYI: I had to retire because of the arthritis in my hands, 3 hand/finger surgeries, and the resulting neuropathy. Yes, I am not as speedy as I once was. But, I can still sew and quilt. I just don't do it as long at a time as I used to. I have adapted all my tools, cutting table, and even sewing machine [I had the needle threader removed as it kept hitting my index finger and making it bleed.] I only cut 1-2 layers of fabric at a time. I rotate the different parts of quilting so I usually have at least 3 projects going at once. I bought the computerized component for my HandiQuilter. I jury rigged the side clamps on the HQ so I could work them.

I definitely don't let anyone shake my hands and touch my fingers. I get in there first so they shake my palm. At prayer group time someone on either side holds my wrists.

As I sew less ... well, I read more, walk more, and browse the QB more.

It is all do-able.

ali