View Single Post
Old 05-18-2011, 09:38 PM
WhitsQuilts

I know this isn't a medical forum, but with so many wonderful people here, I'm hoping maybe someone will have some insight for me!
I have a 13 year old daughter with a rare form of kidney disease. I'd tell you all about it, but it doesn't matter much for this. She had been in medicated remission for five years, meaning her kidneys were still being damaged but they were doing their job. About three months ago, she relapsed and as per standard treatment, her nephrologist put her on a relatively high dose of prednisone.
This time around though, the prednisone is giving her some wicked side effects. Not only does she have the chubby cheeks and mood swings, but also has anxiety, mental confusion, the feeling of not being in control and something that seems like a mild seisure.
Because stopping the prednisone suddenly is something that can't be done as it can damage other things, she has to wean off slowly and it's going to be over a month still till she is pred free. Right now she is missing school as she wouldn't be able to handle having an 'episode" at anywhere other than at home. (with me right beside her holding her as tight as I can and trying to be reassuring)
I'd be really interested in hearing if anyone has experience with the more rare side effects of prednisone, be it in a child or an adult.