View Single Post
Old 05-19-2011, 12:58 AM
cabinfever

Originally Posted by ewecansew
I just found a bottle of Scented Pressing Spray...made by Hamilton Beach, Ingredients: Deionized water, propylene glycol, nonoxynol 12, fragrance, DMDM hydantoin. WARNING: May be harmful if swallowed. If ingested, do not induce vomiting. Seek medical attention. May irritate eyes. If spray contacts eyes, flush immediately with water for 15 minutes, then seek medical attention.
Wow, that rang a bell! "Propylene glycol...may be labeled as "non-toxic antifreeze." It oxidizes when exposed to air and heat. When this occurs lactic acid is formed. If not properly inhibited, this fluid can be very corrosive." (On my fabric??) "pH buffering agents are added to propylene glycol, preventing low pH attack on the system metals." (Ok, think your IRON). "...biological fouling also occurs. Once bacterial slime starts, the corrosion rate increases." It also mentions to dispose of it, it it turns a reddish cast.
I don't think I would want to use anti-freeze on my fabric, and certainly not anything that might produce slime, or attack my iron. On the other hand it does lower the freezing point & raise the boiling point! :lol: