View Single Post
Old 05-19-2011, 05:39 AM
mjnauert

Well, I just love all of you who buy yardage off of the bolt! I usually get my best scraps from my friends who do so. A couple of things that you have to remember is that those of us who buy precuts or fat quarters, or 1/8's are lovers of variety or scrappy quilts. If precuts were not available (and I remember a time when they were not), I would have to buy 40 half-yard cuts (because most shops wont sell cuts less than that) just to get a ''taste'' of each one. Then, I would have too much left over; whereas, if I buy a layer cake, for example, I am only spending 35 dollars and getting exactly the amount that I want of each fabric. Not to mention that there are few shops that purchase a whole line of a design. I would have to buy fabric from 20 different shops to get each one of the fabrics in the line. Last, (and you are going to love this one) Those of us who buy precuts, do so knowing that were are spending a little more per yard (fat quarter bundles run about 110 dollars these days) This helps the fabric companies keep the bolt yardage price down, well, somewhat ;). The funny thing is, many times, fat quarters are way too big for me to work with.