View Single Post
Old 04-02-2009, 06:06 AM
Mousie
Power Poster

So much good info, said there was no need for me to reply, but I will confess I didn't real all the way to end.
My priority list:
Machine first. Do not buy a machine without test driving it. Take your own scraps, different types, threads, and scissors. your dealer may not supply these, but you don't want to be handed all cottons. you want to know what it would do on all sorts of things.
Dealer, right behind, machine. Is he close enough? Do you feel comfortable enough with him, and is he good? Did he answer your questions, knowledgeable about your machine? (if not, why would you want him to work on it? Janome dealers get certified...don't know bout others)
Pay attention to height of presser foot...will it accomodate several layers? Take some denim fabric with you and put at least two pieces together, and see how easy it is to maneuver under there.
My number one all time feature, I have to have now...speed regulation.If I can't control speed, then I can't control quality of my work.
Probably more, but most important to me, once I get my machines home? Heavy duty, surge protection.
not a little strip with cord...no, an industrial box with usually 8 outlets, made for offices.
We have lots of power surges, and have lost a computer, mother board, due to this. You may have them rarely, but one, can take away your new baby. It's worth the $50.00 to have that protection, I also unplug my machines after using, now.
Insist on using it, on your own fabrics, and just suggest that they go back to what they were doing, don't mind me, I'll holler if I have a question...so you can relax. I usually spend at least an hour trying a machine. I use the instr. book, and try out different features.
If you get the bum's rush, and lots of fast talk, say I'll have to think about it, or even say, I will talk with my husband,...then even if you want a machine like that, think hard, about using that dealer.
Don't be coaxed into an impulse buy. It's too important. There are a lot of impressive machines and features out there, and you want a good fit. :D