Old 05-19-2011, 08:19 AM
icon17

Originally Posted by ruthrec
I didn't find my exact situation in search. I am notorious for buying first then thinking of the consequences. At Hancock Fabrics I found a piece of 100% Polyester suede, 60 " wide in a beautiful shade of red. Also, in the same shade there was another piece with a double wedding ring etched into the fabric. So I pay an exorbitant amt of money on this for my daughter's bed covering. I have eight yards total and it will cover the queen bed with a good amt of overhang. I can't call it a quilt but am doing it in place of a quilt. I won't cut the fabric but instead will use applique and decorative threads and stitches to make her "quilt." This is my problem: I never even thought about the bleeding. And it bleeds. Thoughtlessly I washed AND DRIED twice and the color catcher I used came out the same color as the fabric. Question: Will Retayne work after the fabric has been washed and dried or will I just have to live with it? Also, can it be drycleaned if I put Warm and White batting in the middle. What about backing? Stick with poly or cotton, and what color? Wish I'd given this more thought. I will not throw this fabric out. It cost me too much and is much too beautiful. I am open to any and all suggestions. Thanks to this forum I have somewhere to go with my quilting problems. At least you listen even if there is no solution. Thank you.
You say it bleeds! you haven't sew'in it yet right? well I would wash again! over, as many times as it takes til it stops bleed and finaly comes clear. you could put a piece of cheap muslin in each time to be a test and when that was not a shade of pink/red you can say the bleed stopped. 8-)