Old 05-19-2011, 11:18 AM
Darcene

[quote=mpeters1200][quote=Darcene]
Originally Posted by chris_quilts
I k
Now I haven't been able to read through all of the first 900 pages, but I have no idea the difference. My 66 has a motor and a belt. So does one only have a motor and the other only a belt? Is the belt one treadle only? Sorry for elementary questions....I just don't know. Potted motors? Were those added later to transfer a treadle machine to electric power?
Many of the older machines started their lives as treadle machines...then when more people had electricity become available the machines were converted to electrical power by mounting a motor onto the machine which was then connected to the drive shaft by use of an external belt. These are referred to as the belt drive machines. As electricity became more and more prevalent Singer developed a motor that was original to the machine and which did not require a belt. These motors are mounted up high on the tower of the machine and drive the drive shaft by use of internal gears....so if you find a machine that does not have an external belt and has a motor mounted up close to the top of the arm you have a potted motor....I hope this helps...it took me awhile to learn the difference and I hope that I have not made this too confusing.... :-) The 15-90 can be easily converted to a treadle while I don't think this is possible with the 15-91 due to the internal gears.....