Thread: Lancaster, PA
View Single Post
Old 05-19-2011, 05:30 PM
Quilter54

Originally Posted by echobluff
Originally Posted by zoey
Originally Posted by echobluff
YOU'RE MAKING ME HOMESICK!!! They were my old stompin' grounds for many moons! Glad you had a great time! Hopefully you indulged in some Pennsylvania Dutch eats!!! They don't know what Shoo-fly Pie is here in Wyoming...(sorry, I'm drooling)
Have you planned your next trip yet??? LOL
Have a great weekend!
Sue
Making me homesick too as I am from Lancaster. No one here eats scrapple or talks about it without making a face or red beet eggs either for that matter.
Good Grief!!! Never heard anyone else talk about red beet eggs!!! We made some for the neighbors here once, and they turned up their noses at the color. Evidently they didn't know what they were missing. The pickled eggs they have here are just vinegar and maybe some mustard seed to color the liquid a bit...they look rather "pukey" to me. We never called it scrapple, it was always panhaus (pronounced pawn-hoss). They turn up their noses at that too...too bad for them! I remember "I WANT MY MAYPO" too...that's too funny!
We always did the red beet eggs at Easter since we had all those eggs from the Easter egg hunt. Haven't had them in years now though. Kids are all grown & hubby doesn't eat them. P.S. I am originally from Ohio also.