Old 05-19-2011, 08:15 PM
SewExtremeSeams

[quote=miriam]
Originally Posted by SewExtreme
Originally Posted by miriam
Originally Posted by SewExtreme
I am looking at a Montgomery Ward Sewing Machine Model 30 to purchase for my grandkids. It looks like a work horse and indestructible. Anyone have one?
I had one of those - it was a Montgomery Ward - not sure what model though. The machine was out in the screened porch - I was working on it - learned a lot - got it almost working, too. Then someone threw it through the patio glass and broke in my house. The poor machine was ruined - it landed on the balance wheel - hard - snapped it off.

:shock: :shock: Shaking my head in disbelief... a double insult, for sure...(
I'm very glad DH found the mess and took care of a lot of it before I got home. They did steal all of MY tools and a bunch of sewing machine parts I had in the tool box. They took my Mac too - lost all the pictures of my GKs. The rest was DAMAGE. The insurance paid for all of it.

The Montgomery Ward was driven by a little rubber wheel... T here is some coolness factor to those though - I called it The Stealth.

You can still find Singer 404's pretty cheap - those are my pick for a kid to learn on. They are a lot like a Singer 301 - they have a drop in bobbin and no carry handle - they are about the same weight and size. Easy to use. They, too have a slant needle so the kid can see what they are doing. There are parts for these.

I sold a REALLY cool machine called a Belaire to my boss a couple years ago. He said his wife almost left him when he brought it home... It was candy apple red and white - looked like a car. He fell in love with it...

Then, later I found a metalic gray and white just about like the Belaire it was called a Wizard. Those were made in Japan and are a good sturdy machine. Probably came out of the same plant but went to different stores and they put what ever name they wanted on them. I think they might be fun for a kid to sew on. Pretty easy to use. For sure appeal to a guy. Runs like a sewing machine.

Just for laughs, here is the ad I wrote when I sold the gray one:
Vintage late 1950's cream puff
Paint in mint shape
Original two tone dazzling grey and cream paint.
Classic and functional piece of equipment
Rich showcase passion condition
One owner
(Grandma's)
Chrome & heavy metal!
Well-engineered
One foot petal
All original accessories
Custom cover in excellent condition
This machine purrs like the well-crafted piece of machinery it is.
It feels "quality", if you know what I mean.
This machine will definitely be in your "keeper" list.
Would be great in a show just like it is
They just don’t make ‘em like that anymore.
Runs like a sewing machine...
Meet the Wizard!!!!

Then I had a picture of the machine. Craig's List made me change the ad - thought it was too misleading. Some people have NO sense of humor..........
CRAIGSLIST made you change your ad. I haven't heard of them doing that. Seems like your ad was pretty inventive... lol, lol :wink: