View Single Post
Old 05-20-2011, 10:17 AM
ThayerRags

I set up a Singer Industrial 96-40 treadle/electric for FM last summer that my wife has been getting acquainted with. Once she feels comfortable with her hand motion, she may try learning the foot motion of treadling. She’s quilted nearly all of her quilts on vintage electric machines, mostly straight-line on a Singer 401A with an even-feed foot. She’s done a little FM on the 401A, but needs something better.

She likes free-motion quilting on the 96-40, and has done a few on it, but lately, it has started acting up on her. I need to play with it a little bit to see if I can figure out what’s causing her problems. I think it’s the darning foot that I used. I need to get one of the Juki high shank feet for it. I dropped the presser bar to use a low shank foot on it, removed the feed dogs and installed a darning plate (no feed dog slots). I put a small electric motor on it (piggy-back on top of it) and we operate it with a standard home-use foot control. We have good speed control of it, but it started skipping stitches. I don’t think that the darning foot is holding and releasing the sandwich at the correct time.

CD in Oklahoma

Singer 96-40
[ATTACH=CONFIG]199659[/ATTACH]

Singer 96-40
[ATTACH=CONFIG]199660[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-199653.jpe   attachment-199654.jpe