Old 05-20-2011, 01:00 PM
BZ quilting

The thing I found to work best for my musty featherweight case was to stuff the box with newspaper & take it out every week & put in new for about 3 weeks then use your other scent methods. For some reason the newspaper absorbs the odor (probably also any moisure).

Bev

Originally Posted by sew wishful
Originally Posted by jljack
Originally Posted by canuckninepatch
Hello - I've been thinking for quite some time about purchasing a Featherweight, and finally took the plunge. I bought it from a local semi-retired sewing machine repairman who had advertised it on Kiji (similar to Craigslist). It's serial # is EH893383, which from what I've found on the internet means it was made in Scotland in 1951, am I correct? Anyway, both the machine and the case are in A-1 shape, but there is a musty smell inside the case (therefore right now the machine smell that way too). I put a little Lysol in some water, and used a damp rag to wipe the surface dirt of the inside and outside of the case, and dried it immediately. Now I have sprayed a clean rag well with Heavy Duty Febreeze, and have placed it in a small bowl which I have put into the case. I've propped the lid open slightly and am hoping that the smell may lessen. Any other tips for deodorizing the case?
Nice looking Featherweight!! The case stinks because they used glue that has aged in an undesirable manner. Usually airing it helps, but also put a dryer sheet in the bottom of it and leave it there. I heard this works good, too.
It smells musty because mildew grows in warm dark damp places. Set it in the sun for a couple days, moving it around to keep it in direct sun and then place dryer sheets in it to keep it smelling lightly scented. Change the dryer sheets every couple months or so and save all the little bags that come in purses, shoes, etc to absorb moisture and put them in the case when closed. My FW hasn't been back in the case since I got it, but am planning on taking it camping with me (in a 28 ft trailer with electricity!!) so it will go back into the case daily.