View Single Post
Old 05-20-2011, 10:19 PM
virgwid

I am new to quilting. Well, made a couple things about 25 years ago, but haven't done any since then. I have been collecting fabric on sale since nov/dec. I have some really gorgeous fabrics, mostly batiks and landscapes. I haven't done anything with them yet because the sewing machine scares me to death. I have never had a sewing machine I have gotten along with yet. This one is my mothers that she bought several years ago when she retired and even after lessons couldn't ever figure out enough to use. I looked it up on google, and it is rated very, very highly by quilters, so thats good. I also remember having trouble accurately using a rotary cutter, so I bought an accuquilt. Sitting in the original packing box since feb. I have also had a block about not wanting to cut into such pretty fabric. What if I screw it up?

Well, today I put my big girl panties on and started on my first quilt. It is going to be a really really simple flip flop quilt that reminds me of a recent trip to Hawaii. Nine pairs of flip flops, each pair made out of a fabric that has a specific memory behind it. Gonna applique (well, fuse), to sand colored fabric. Turns out I didn't buy enough of that, so I had to order some. Got a really pretty Hoffman batik, which is great, as when I got the original fabric I had never seen any of Hoffman, so instead of liking it alot, I love it. Worked out for the best, but a little discouraging as I couldn't put the flip flops on today.

I dreaded cutting into the fabric, but I finally did it. I LOVE IT!!! If you knew me, you'd know I am crazy. Couldn't find my fabric scissors I bought a while back, so I cut the flip flops out using the nail scissors I was gonna use to snip thread. It took forever, and there was alot of fraying (dull nail scissors), but I enjoyed every bit of it - even when the cat jumped on the back of my chair, knocked down a bunch of things on his way down when he lost his grip, and caused me a small accident with the fabric. :)

I now have the flip flops ready to go, and as a bonus a bunch of quarter to half yard fabric that are not my style and can' t imagine fitting into any further planned quilt of mine, so I am going to use them to get used to the accuquilt and the sewing machine before I start on my son's college quilt. Maybe make them into mug rugs to use in my bedroom. I even smiled when I saw the pile of scraps from my cutting. I think I am going to make a crumb quilt, with each block being the crumbs from a quilt I make.

This is so much fun!!!! Tomorrow I am going to start prewashing my fabrics for my son's college quilt so when the pattern and template get here first of next week I will be ready to go. If I have a lot of energy, I think I am also going to wash and get ready some batiks to make a d9p. Practice with the stupid machine and all.

I just want to thank you all for your help and support and patience with all the questions I have had over the past few months. I will have a million more as things progress, and you guys are amazing. Thank you to everyone.

Ok, now I am too excited to sleep! Wish the washer wouldn't wake everyone up!

Virg