View Single Post
Old 05-21-2011, 04:41 AM
jad1044

This is going to sound very unrealistic, but way back in my girlhood days, watching my grandmother go to the cow barn and dip out the "soup" from teh gutters, and she brought it up to her peonies, dug about a six inch hole all around her peony bushes, about a foot away from the bush itself, and in spring time, there were no green leaves that showed for all the blossoms that took over, but first make sure that your plants are not planted too deep. If you transplant, don't put in the ground deeper than the earth line on the plant you dug... then you have the perfect depth, unless they too had a problem blooming, then they were just too keep... but a good healthy fertilizer will make a world of difference... we lived off the main road about a block - but the row of peonys was from one end of the lawn to the other, and a row of beauty - pinks, reds, whites, all those inbetween, and doubles as well as single blooms; breathtaking. For Memorial Day we'd pick a bouquet for each grave, adn my grandmother did not drive, so we'd load the coaster wagon with fruit jars full of peonies(maybe iris) and walk the half mile with a milk can of water on teh wagon; we were very tired before we got there and then had to come home again - but we saw to it there was always fresh water on the flowers and fresh bouquets put out. People gave so many compliments on how beautiful our yard always was too. If it bloomed, my grandmother owned it and never a weed in it - every day she was out in her flowers or garden weeding; she was a miraculous hard working lady - wish I could stand the heat now - I would spend much more time than I do with my flowers I have, but I'm limited to how many, cause I can not take care of too many any more.