Old 05-21-2011, 08:47 AM
mojo11

Along with quilting, I also sew my husbands shirts. For that and my borders cut lengthwise, I need my fabric in a single cut of fabric- not pieced. For this reason, I quit purchasing fabric from WM when they took out the bolts. Even their FQ are overpriced for the quality- in my opinion.
Originally Posted by stevendebbie25
Originally Posted by mojo11
What to do if you need 4 yards in one piece? Or even 3 yards in one piece for borders or backing?
Local Quilt Shows, several are creating interesting backs, not as detail pieced, but not simply one piece or all the same fabric. Create a border within borders, or interesting corners using colors from the front rather than one long piece. As for borders or sashing, piece them, just not the same place around. I've seen beautiful boarders created that frame and are nearly nicer than the main center panel. Or create a little "spill over" of the focus design into the border where you have seams to hide them, and create interest to the border. Some flowers or leaves cut individually spilling into the borders... lightning bolt (race car or super hero child's), magic wand & crown (princess), matching diamonds or trailing flowing flying geese if that's the design in the quilt. OR, buy online, buy at JoAnns or quilt shops & pay for that full length section.