View Single Post
Old 05-21-2011, 09:58 AM
montanajan

Irisrose said: montanajan, what a great incentive. Eight pounds is wonderful - maybe even too much unless this your first month dieting. Horses are so special, but are expensive. Dogs are bad enough. $292.98 this week for two well doggy exams and various preventatives for the next few months. Ouch! I'd say they're worth it, but right now they've taken up excavating my lawn and I'm not happy.[/quote]

Irishrose - Dogs excavating your lawn - love the visual. Sorry, that can be a nuisance. Our Catahoula Leopard dog has decided he needs to water the tree by our water pump. I'm trying to discourage that - he has acres to use, but we don't always see the event - love him anyway!

Re: horse expenses - yes, we spend at least $500 per horse a year for vet bills, shots, shoes, and that is if we have no problems and they stay healthy. They are big hay users all winter when there is no grass on which to graze. But we love our critters & they do get used - packing in the mountains, trail rides, hauling out elk or deer or moose after successful hunting. We are planning to take horses out & camp Memorial Day weekend if weather permits.

Exercise tip I've used when stuck in house because of weather, or anytime: I used to walk up & down our stairs until I dropped. Cannot do the stairs well now, but can still walk back & forth in the hallway every time I'm on the phone - has to burn a few calories, right?