Old 05-21-2011, 03:38 PM
Maribeth

Originally Posted by fktsewing
Ladies overseas, let me take your side right now. American quilters are extremely lucky with fabric prices. When I visited my son in England 2 years ago, I was astounded at the price of fabric there and these ladies are right, they have no other choice. If they order from the states, the "Queen" adds on her taxes to the price so she can live in the luxury she is accustomed to. The first box I sent to my son for his first Christmas there cost me over $75.00 to ship and it was not a large box. If I send now, it is in small boxes with a cost below $25 so the Queen cannot put a tax on it. But mostly, my son buys when he visits America and puts it inbetween his clothes in his suitcase to go home. We went to a LQS near him when I was there and the owner and customers could not believe I , an American was buying fabric over there instead of here in the states. Comparable---a $10.00 per yard batik over here is about $22.00 (american money) over there.
I think your statements about the Queen are a little exaggerated and could be taken to be mean spirited. (edited to add that I would hate for it to mistakenly appear to be a post that would offend our wonderful British friends) btw, Did you just out your son for not paying the taxes required by the nation where he chooses to live? :oops: