Old 05-21-2011, 04:29 PM
noveltyjunkie

Hi and congratulations on this exciting project! I have only recently discovered that my GGrandmother was a quilter but none of her work survives- I would be super excited if something like this came my way!!!!

I understand you are keen to get going on this one. I am like that too- I like to jump in. Therefore, I am going to suggest another possible approach for you which would be to cut some of your own hexagons from her templates but some other, less precious, fabric, and practice on those. That way, if you dont like how it turns out, you are not beating yourself up over "ruining" her precious work in progress.

My own first project was a hexagon pillow, when I was a teenager.

I had no template, no clue about fabric, and no one to show me how to do it. I just saw a picture of one, read somewhere that sewing the little pieces onto cardboard hexagons would work to get the corners in place, and got going! I certainly made lots and lots of mistakes and heartache for myself. But I am still proud that I just got on with it! If I had been waiting until I knew how to do it right, it would never have been made at all...... I still have that cushion in my sewing room- here it is.....

My very first patchwork ever....
[ATTACH=CONFIG]200286[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-200280.jpe