Old 05-22-2011, 12:58 AM
Annya

Originally Posted by Kaz
When I send my kids anything from here in the US back home to the UK I know the limit is" Goods sent as a gift that are over £40 in value are liable to import VAT", so if it comes to more than that I maybe open the package so it looks "used" and put a lower amount than it is 'worth' on the declaration, and always declare it as a gift.
I used to live in Yorkshire and I have to say that between the markets and the mills around Leeds, Bradford Keighley etc. I never paid anything like the prices in the LQS, but then again I didn't quilt, just sewed clothes or curtains etc. Yes the prices for quilting fabrics are cheaper here but I prefer knowing what I am going to pay upfront and not find when I get to the checkout that suddenly what I have added up in my head is so much less than what I am asked to pay after taxes have been added on. So your sales tax in some states almost equates to our VAT.

I had a friend who quilted and always bought her fabric from Boyes for less than what Joann's sells it for but I think that they are only in Yorkshire? Maybe not as much selection but she always showed great resourcefulness in her color choices.

I had left my older Pfaff in the UK and when I went to purchase one here and I could not believe the price!! I actually ended up buying it in the UK and having it mailed over here at almost half the price (my only problem now is that the local dealer 250 miles away will not service it because I did not purchase it from her). Some things here are more expensive and some cheaper. So swings and roundabouts I guess. :)
All dealers are supposed to service the machines they sell, even if you don't buy the machine from them directly. Get in touch with the company and complain. Maybe they can help you get it done.